Monday, September 2, 2013

YA Movies

#1490

So recently I caught the recent YA movies* The Mortal Instruments City of Bones (COB) and Percy Jackson Sea of Monster (PJ). But I actually caught COB twice. Why? Cause I think it's nice and I missed out things when I was inside for the first time. And I think PJ sucked.

*YA Movies, Young Adult movies (Twilight saga, Harry Potter, etc)

Ever since the Harry Potter and Twilight Saga ended, things hasn't been good on YA Movies (Beautiful Creatures, The Host, etc), as in they drew lesser income when compared to Twilight and Harry Potter. Personally, I think COB and PJ ain't going to do well either, so we shall just wait for Catching Fire and see how they perform! Anyway, I'm just going to write my review about these two movies, so skip if you haven't watch yet.


The Mortal Instruments, City of Bones

It's about this female lead Clary Fray and her adventure about the world of Shadow Hunters, half mortal and half angel, where these people are gifted and protect the human race from the evils of demons. Where later she met Jace Wayland (love interest), the best shadow hunter at this age where he helps her to find her missing in action mother, the mortal cup and there she goes, dragged into the other world! 

Apart from the usual vampires and werewolves, or magicians, it's more of like combination of a few, or many more. Yes, there's a love story blooming but there's also a lot of action in it, and I liked the action so much. Funny how, I got attracted to Jace Wayland/Jamie Campbell Bower as soon as the movie started, and Lily Collins is simply, very gorgeous!

Because I got so attracted to the male lead, so I decided to find out more, and to think that he actually acted in Twilight, Caisus and then Harry Potter, it was kind of a shock to me. When in fact, back to the twilight saga period, I was so happy that Caisus/Jamie Campbell Bower got killed/hit in the final installment of the movie and now I'm here so enthusiastic over him inside COB. 

Because the ending kept me hanging in there, I went all so crazy about searching the next few books of the series but it was a bit of a ...... don't know what to do when the movie and the book is so different. And people are telling me that they couldn't finish the second book, not that it's too long, is just that the storyline sucked that they couldn't help but stop flipping. And right now, I'm done with all the books that I've loaned from the library, I guess I'll start reading City of Ashes in no time. Still, I'm looking forward to the second installment of the movie. It's a great piece of news that they are filming it as soon as they are done with the premiere, promotions, interviews which means this series ain't gonna be shelved like 'I am no four'. Yes, I'm about the movie rather than the book but the again, movie spoils your impression of the book, no matter what.

Overall, it's a great movie for starter and I personally preferred this to PJ, which I'll tell you why later.
Rating, 4/5.


Percy Jackson Sea of Monster

I just noticed the movie poster was in some other language, pardon me, I'm too lazy to change.
Hello to all PJ fans out there, it's been long since they continued with the series after 'lightning thief'. As much as I've waited with everyone, I'm actually excited (too) for this movie but as soon as I looked at the rating, the interest just diminishes, can't blame me, you will understand why after you've watched. 

After being the top/favorite/hot halfblood  in camp, the story continues with him, along with Annabeth, Grover and Tyson (his new found brother) on another quest in search of the Golden Fleece but it isn't supposed to be his prophecy though, it was Clarisse's, but they sneaked out, how smart.

I am disappointed with this movie because.....
1. Everything looked so fake.
2. It's too much different from the book.
3. The there's no love line inside, even though there should be.
4. It's too boring, with all those talking.
5. The looked too different compared with 'lightning' thief'. 
6. There's too little action

Funny how I wasn't convinced that the same group of people acted in this movie, except for Grover. Yes, they grew up but they were too different, till now I'm still not convinced yet. Rating, 2.5/5

So why I prefer COB to PJ is.....
1. There's more action in COB.
2. I don't feel sle py halfway through the first 20 mins in COB.
3. The graphics looked so much better compared to PJ.
4. I felt that there's not much of a storyline in PJ although COB seems messy 
5. At least there's some love line in COB.

But no offence to PJ fans, because I loved the book series like hell! It's just that, there's so much changes in movie. See, like I said, movies will spoil your impression of the books, drama as well.

And to all Alex Pettyfer fans, don't be so heartbroken that he isn't Jace Wayland. I was all over him last time, handsome, charming and all but I felt that Jamie Campbell Bower actually did a good job! And I think he suited Jace Wayland, a lot. And stop all those hates.... Jamie, too, is charming as hell. Why didn't I take note of him earlier. Funny how, he used to be in those popular YA movies, and now his turn to be the lead. 

All of the above are all my personal opinions.

******

I'm looking forward to Catching Fire, the trailer itself was too much to absorb. 
Yes, it totally caught my attention.
Then again, I didn't read the book, so...... the impression/idea are all new.

No comments: